Monday, March 8, 2010

Near Fatal Accident


Dave nearly bled to death after losing 5 pints (50%) of his blood from wounds inflicted by cut glass. He was carrying a 5 gallon glass jar of microbrew down some stairs and tripped, breaking the glass and cutting his thumb nearly off. He also slashed his wrist, which was the main source of blood loss. A nurse in the emergency room informed me (Miriam) that he had lost too much blood and was probably not going to make it. It was a dreadful moment. Fortunately, with a large blood transfusion he was stabilized and rushed by ambulance to SLC where a specialist did surgery on his hand and stitched up his wrist and other various cuts.

X-Rays (Before surgery and after Dave was out of danger)


Dave, joking around with the doctors, after he had the tourniquet removed and was heading for surgery. Everyone was relieved that he was conscious and able to talk.

Before Dave's transfusion, he looked as white as a sheet. Once he had a couple of pints of blood pumped into him, he gained consciousness and I said, "You have more color! You aren't as white as when we got here." He replied with, "Racist!" The doctors and staff all burst out laughing. The tension had been so high and Dave's joke broke over everyone like a wave of relief.

The emergency stamped Dave's report with, "NEAR FATAL ACCIDENT". I've spent dozens of nights in hospitals, but that was one of the most stressful. I now know what it looks like to see someone almost bleed to death, and it happens soooo fast. A Class IV Hemorrhage with 5 pints of blood spurting out in just minutes. I'm very thankful to the people who donate blood, and to the doctors/staff who have the skills and knowledge it took to work so quickly and accurately. People are amazing. Medical science is an incredible thing. And I'm also thankful to the people who invented and advanced the automobile so I could get him there just in time. I am fully aware that without modern technology, Dave wouldn't be alive right now, and it strengthens my resolve to support the sciences and continue to work in my chosen field of research.

I'm also thankful to the many people who have supported Dave, me and the kids through this quick crisis. Within moments our world was full of emotional and social support. Again, people are amazing.

4 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

People are amazing. I'm grateful all of the planets aligned so that Dave's life could be spared. How traumatic for you all!

newellista said...

I heard about the accident, and I'm grateful that all is well. You and your family are in my thoughts (and prayers).

Steve

Christopher Maloy said...

I was very happy to see you in high spirits today at work. I am a little sad at the loss of the micro brew of course.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad Dave is all right. Who would think that something like that could happen?